After graduating from the Vienna University of Economics and Business and several years of management consulting and lecturing in the fields of controlling, strategy and change management, Oliver Elbling has been working in the energy industry since 1999 and has since specialised in this sector. In addition to extensive work on the implementation of energy liberalisation from an economic, organisational, procedural, contractual and IT perspective, today the main focus is on increasing the efficiency and decarbonisation of energy systems.
The list of successful projects covers all business areas of the energy industry: Regulators, grid operators, storage operators, hub operators, import and trading companies and utilities in almost all countries in Europe.
Milestones in the context of energy market liberalisation were the conception and implementation of:
- the Austrian gas market liberalisation in two development stages
- two German market areas and the first German market integration,
- the design of the ACER Gas Target Model,
- the first cross-border market integration on the basis of the EU Gas Target Model designed for ACER
- the market rules for Austria, Germany, Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia
- numerous reorganisation and unbundling projects (most recently in Ukraine for the largest European gas transmission operator)
- various expert opinions for regulatory authorities and in the context of major arbitration proceedings.
Over the years, the challenges related to energy supply have changed repeatedly, and so have the tasks. With each new question, the wecom team has been able to expand its knowledge and has recently made a reputation for itself internationally as a trusted partner in the field of secure, decarbonised energy systems.
Accordingly, the current core projects include:
- the procurement of the strategic gas reserve for Austria and the detailed conception of energy emergency measures within the framework of Austrian emergency planning
- the application of AI/ML and other mathematical methods to increase the efficiency of energy companies (booking optimisation, dispatching optimisation, forecast improvement, ...)
- Modelling of economically optimised target energy systems for the decarbonised future in so far 4 countries with more than 35 companies of the energy and technology sector
What drives me?
The energy transition and preserving a secure and competitive energy system are the greatest challenges of our time. I am glad to be contributing to this with WECOM.
It is both exciting and a joy to collaborate with the bright minds of our clients and our team on the large and complex challenges we face today.