Dr. Albrecht Wagner
After graduating from the Vienna University of Economics and Business Albrecht Wagner spent several years in management consulting (i.a. McKinsey & Company) in the areas of strategy and controlling. In 1999 Albrecht Wagner started to work for the energy industry and has since specialised in this sector. In addition to extensive work on the implementation of energy liberalisation from an economic, organisational, procedural, contractual and IT perspective, today’s focus is on market functioning, efficiency and decarbonisation of energy systems.
The list of successful projects covers all business areas of the energy industry: Regulators, grid operators, storage operators, hub operators, import and trading companies and utilities in the DACH area.
Milestones in the context of energy market liberalisation were the conception and implementation of:
- the Austrian gas market liberalisation
- two German market areas and the first German market integration,
- the creation of the CEER European Gas Target Model,
- the first cross-border market integration based on the EU Gas Target Model designed for ACER
- of portfolio management logic and organization including optimization models and risk management for gas (wholesale) traders
- Gas trading strategies for owners of storage facilities and gas power plants
- Restructuring of gas supply contracts in the course of market liberalization
- various expert opinions for regulatory authorities and in the context of major arbitration proceedings.
Over the years, the challenges related to energy supply have changed repeatedly, and so have the tasks in consulting. With each new topic, the WECOM has been able to expand its knowledge and its client base. Thus, WECOM has recently made a reputation for itself internationally as a trusted partner in the field of secure, decarbonised energy systems.
Accordingly, the current core projects include:
- Modelling of economically optimised target energy systems for the decarbonised future in so far 4 countries with more than 35 companies of the energy and technology sector
- the review and adaptation of trading strategies, portfolio management logic and risk management against the background of supply disruptions and increasing decarbonisation
What drives me?
The energy transition is an indispensable but highly complex challenge and requires the participation of politics, all players in the energy industry and end consumers. The successful conversion of our (also today highly complex and diversified) energy system requires a clear view of an economically sensible and secure target system and goal-oriented coordination of all stakeholders.
It is fun and enjoyable to work with the smart minds of our clients and our team to develop new and innovative concepts that are one step ahead of their time.